Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pelican; Voices of the Voiceless (creative title right?)

I realize I'm the most boring prick on the planet, but I'm cool with that.

I've taken up listening to a lot of music that doesn't have vocals. Problem is I'm a hopeless metalhead and there are not metallic bands without singers. Oh wait, there's PELICAN.

Pelican is an indie-ish band that got popular with their previous album City of Echoes between 2006-2008 or so (I don't fact check because I'm lazy) .

Their sound is somewhere in between August Burns Red (they actually list Pelican as an influence) and more lighter, creative sounding stuff like some of Chevelle's work on Vena Sera. They do, indeed, have no vocalist whatsoever, and they only have one song I know of that has a vocalist, and its a cover of the song by the band the guy is in, so that doesn't really count (its call Grave Diggers and its amazing).

Their album City of Echoes has some of the most creative sounding music I've heard in years, and their technical skill combined with that just produces astonishing work. They have several songs on there that I compulsively listen to, one of which is Winds With Hands, the one and only acoustic track, which gives me all kinds of music boners. Yes, music boners, I get them.

Every single thing they produce is apparently limited pressing however, so if anyone where to ever see an actual Pelican album just sitting around, you may want to haz that. Limited editions can sell for pretty high to certain fans (unfortunately I considered dropping about $45 on a limited EP of theirs but I fought the urge) and that might just be beneficial to you.

Even their t-shirts and posters are limited edition, I actually bought one for a friend that was a pressing of 100 prints only for one time ever. Cause when I give gifts I'm a real dick about it. There are at least two CDs of theirs I have never seen for sale that I want really badly, so I would appreciate a text message if anyone ever finds the PLCN and TAS two-track split EP, and the CD Australasia.

None of my write-ups are complete without youtube posts, so click HERE to listen to Winds with Hands or find them on myspace or iTunes store to sample some work. I highly recommend them.

One final note, the graphic designer that does all of their CDs/DVDs/Posters IS. FUCKING. AMAZING. I have saved pics of just about all of their work for my own reference and inspiration, I rarely see work that really puts me over the edge like that, go ahead and look for yourself.

DONE!

-You're freind, KaDiZZle (isn't that annoying?)

No comments:

Post a Comment